Whether litigating a complex commercial dispute or negotiating a business transaction, my client expects, and is entitled to receive, legal counsel that is honest, cost-efficient and in keeping with the client’s strategic vision.
Jacob Amir represents lenders, developers, real estate holding companies and a range of businesses on all commercial, construction and real estate litigation and transactional matters. Mr. Amir also counsels small and growing private corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships on matters involving governance, employment and business relations.
In addition to practicing law, Mr. Amir also sits on a local Zoning Board of Appeals and is an Adjunct in the Pace University Graduate Center, where he has taught civil procedure, contracts and essential legal skills in the Paralegal Studies Program.
- Prevailing at trial protecting a client’s fee ownership in a mixed-use real property, against claims of fraud.
- Successfully obtaining reversing on appeal from a lower Court’s decision which denied a purchaser’s right to intervene and set aside a tax lien foreclosure of commercial real property.
- Obtaining summary judgment establishing a lender’s first priority lien against residential real property over claims by competing lenders and the fee owner.
- Representing a contractor against claims of defective work arising from the $16,000,000 rehabilitation of a Manhattan brownstone, resulting in a favorable discounted settlement.
- Bringing a federal civil rights action and negotiating a settlement on behalf of 20 gas stations following administrative ruling of underpayment of unemployment premiums.
- Representing a minority shareholder in the dissolution of an environmental company and companion action for fraud, waste and misappropriation of assets.
- Representing a non-profit community center on its $2,000,000 acquisition of adjacent commercial space, acquired for expansion purposes.
- Handling single-family, condominium and cooperative real estate acquisition and lease transactions for sellers and purchasers in Westchester and New York City.
- Counseling media and printing companies on leases, general business and intellectual property concerns.
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Committee on Law, Youth and Citizenship
- Member, Westchester County Bar Association
- Building Owners and Managers Association, Professional Member
- Associated General Contractors NYS, Associate Member
- “Defining Substantial Completion for Lien Law and Contract Purpose” Cornerstone (Summer 2018)
- “One Individual, Two Process Servers and Two Physical Descriptions: A Litigator’s Thoughts” The Liberty (November 2017)
- “A Review of Takings Under Kelo v. New London” Westchester Bar Journal (V.32 No. 2)
In the Spring 2019, Jacob Amir was invited to once again teach a seminar course in the Paralegal Studies program, hosted by Pace Law School, on civil procedure in the New York courts. Jacob has taught this course for the last several years, and has also lectured on corporations and essential legal skills in the program.